Invisible Bra


Happy New Years! I’m eagerly looking forward to 2009!


I wanted to buy a centerpiece for the kitchen table. Roda gave me the perfect solution. She told me of a Chinese tradition of putting a pineapple in the middle and "round fruit" around it. You also have to put garlic on the table, but not on the same round dish; it represents family as the cloves are stuck together.



You set this up New Years Eve day, but don't eat any of the fruit until Jan 2nd. I love learning about different traditions and incorporating them into our lives as well.

Ok, I received a couple of request (email and comments) about the bra experience. I’ll do my best give you a feel. (don't go there)


I don't buy bras that often, but when I find one that works, I'll buy in quantity and if I'm lucky, in various colors too. I imagine I hear Greg singing, "Shake your Money Makers."


That's actually something most women do when we bra shop ~ we shake. You have to see if it fits in the sling properly. You don't just strap the thing on and know it fits, you have to move around, make sure the underwire isn't poking anything (think - jabbing a stake into your armpit), not to mention how far do the adjustments go on a strap so it doesn't fall (Greg knows when I wear a partiular bra, he's constantly pulling the straps up for me!) And ladies, am I wrong, you need to shake it to know you won't get the dreaded muffin-top look (you know, the bra seems to fit, you move and suddenly half of your boob is cut off by the top of the bra ~ viola - muffin top).

Now, I'm not someone who wears a bra with a pad, because, honestly? I have a enough in that department, which is God given (thanks Ma - it runs in the family). If I wore a padded bra, I'd look like Dolly Parton. Anyway, while at one store, I was looking through the bra selection and overheard a conversation.

Two ladies were talking about the bras with extra padding. One lady said, quite seriously, "These are utility belts for women. I remove the pad and put my wallet in it! Works great for a night out." (I think I giggled outloud, because I was given a rude look.) The other lady replied that she put her keys in the padding area. (I had to walk away, because I couldn't contain my mirth, can you imagine a lady walking by and you hear her keys jingle from that location?) So, guys, when you're out with your ladyfriend, who knows what you'll find!

It's not just the fit that a woman tries on a bra for, sometimes you have to think of the material it's made of and what you plan on wearing the bra with. Think "peekaboo" bra, see through material that you didn't figure on! There's also the scallop lace on the edge or a smooth microfiber that doesn't show seamlines option.


Getting the picture yet? Take all those routine issues of bra shopping and couple it with a wedding gown that is not bra-friendly!



One of the things I liked about the wedding dress was that I thought I could wear a regular bra with it, as it has straps. But no, this one has straps going to the edge of the shoulder (so the bra strap would show) and the neckline is cut in such a way that it shows the edges of most of my bras AND... the back is lower than most of my bras.


When I went bra shopping, I didn't bring the dress. It would have been too much of a pain to lug it around. I thought I'd have to go with a strapless bra, but when Mother Nature gives you a generous helping of boobage, such a creature in the likes of strapless is not a viable option. I'd be constantly tugging the thing or worrying about the support or lack thereof. Bra manufacturers know it too, because they rarely make strapless in larger sizes.

I did hit the jackpot, "Shake your Money Makers".... I went into one store and they had a "buy 2, get 2 free" day after Christmas sale. If shopping for a bra is a pain in the breasts, buying one breaks the wallet (even for in the hide-a-wallet boobers). I figured if I could find 4 white/cream bras in different styles, at least ONE had to work for the wedding gown, right?


And one did - ONLY one - thank heavens I wasn't shy to ask the salelady about my wedding gown and the cut on the neckline and back. She suggested a strapless bra that has detachable straps. I didn't like how it felt "detached" BUT... this detachable bra detaches from the straps over the shoulders and across the back and has a "clear" pack made of see through plastic for the straps and back. So you can wear the straps and back without seeing the bra attachments.


I'm going to use the clear pack and have dubbed it my invisible wedding bra!

Comments

Dr. Wifey said…
i hate shopping for bras! i think i have one of those that you described, like a 7-in-1 or something...very handy
Missicat said…
I don't like shopping for bras either - tough to fit my size. Once I find a brand I like, I defintiely stock up.
Thanks for the fruit idea - have time to run by the shops on theway home!
Kavi said…
The shopping continues...hmm ! Its a time to shop. all the best..!

And best wishes for a great new year !
Kimberly said…
I'm lucky, I don't have enough to worry about really wearing a bra!! :) Though, shopping for them, none the less, is just as frustrating, because they think everybody has big ones...

Happy new year, and best wishes for 2009!!
tiffany1377 said…
I JUST did this last night. I loath bra shopping. It used to be fun back when I didn't functionally need a bra. Now that I've nursed for a year, it's a necessity. I have a hard time finding a good fit and you're right, Muffin Top is serious issue!! LOL!
Constance said…
Aleta,
Hope that the 'invisible bra' works for you on your wedding day :)

Sometimes they build the bra right into the dress when they are making it... That's how models always manage to avoid any straps showing or muffin tops !

Proper fit is so important.

Happy New Year 2009 to you and Greg.
GypsiAdventure said…
:) oh my... glad you found one that worked - wouldn't want any wedding day mishaps..teehee
~K
Happy New Year
Holly said…
My sister was blessed with the beautiful, thick head of hair. I was blessed with a chest. When we were young, she was jealous of me. I kept telling her wait until we were old. She isn't jealous any more, but I'm still jealous of her thick hair. Pooh.

Anyway, to make a long comment even longer, I really do empathize with you in the bra shopping department. If Michael had his way, he wouldn't even be in the same state on the day bra shopping occurs. Suffice it to say, I do a lot of cussing, complaining and general moaning about the lack of any intelligence in those that design bras.
Margaret said…
I hate to shop for bras. I am glad you found one that worked with your dress.
A New Yorker said…
NO NO NO ALETA this is your special day. Get your tushie to a speciality bra shop now. I went this summer and learned things I never knew my entire life. First if the strap falls it's wrong fit PERIOD second buy whatever feels right and then they have these amazing things you put around your waist that attach to the straps and pull them in whereever you need and viola. I did this for the bro's wedding. PERFECTION. You'll spend about $85 for the bra and it will fit properly with the girls in the right places and no muffin top or falling out etc...I promise you. This chicks budget is tighter than well...and I did it. This is YOUR SPECIAL DAY. We have stores called Intimacy. Do you have them there?
Hippomanic Jen said…
I'm with you on the hating bra shopping thing, and also on the need a good fit thing.

Also, just letting you know my prize arrived in the post while I was away and it's very pretty and fits my favourite bag while still letting me close it. Thank you!
Anonymous said…
I'm with Loving Annie...bra cups can be made into the dress and they're brilliant. I had this done when I wore a backless dress in my sister's wedding. Mind you I'm not sure how well it works if you are generously endowed. Let's just say when boobs were being handed out I appear to have been in the wrong queue.
Debbie Y. said…
Before weight loss surgery I was significantly endowed, but alas, since losing 115 pounds, mine are gone. But that doesn't mean I don't need a good fitting bra, just the opposite, now I need one even more, just a smaller size. It's like the air was just let out of them and I feel so depressed. I need to go get fitted, so they will look perky again.

But good luck on your invisible bra on your wonderful day. I am so happy for you that you are so happy and in love. Much good luck to you, Aleta and Greg. Have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon. Can't wait to see pictures.
Walker said…
I used to love going bra shopping with my EX.
I don't think she did but man did I have alot of questions for the sales lady. LOL

Happy New Year
Had fun reading you 'bra've post about the search for the right bra. In India, public discussions about bras are considered 'bra'zen and em'bra'ssing.

Happy new year to you and Greg and the rest of your family. The centrepiece was good, especially the symbolism of the garlic.
The Blonde Duck said…
I do the same thing those ladies do. I'm always shoving my phone and papers in my bra. Works great!
Jessica said…
Bra shopping is the worst thing ever...I normally put it off as long as I have to.

I hope you and Greg have a wonderful 2009! :)
Vikki North said…
You're to funny Aleta.
My mother's words of wisdom come to mind:

Me-"Mom this is really uncomfortable."

Mom- "Don't complain. That's the price of beauty."

Happy New Year to you and your honey.
Vikki
♥ Boomer ♥ said…
I so hate bra shopping. Know what you mean about finding one you like and buying 'en masse'. Underwire??? My (female) female doctor told me long ago to avoid underwire 'cause it's dangerous. (I had a collasped lung one time...not from underwire, but I don't want underwire to create another collaspe!). Anyway, loved this post!!!
Brandy said…
I bought 4 bras from the same sale today! I love when they do this sale...since I have been blessed and need a larger size.

BTW I've been carrying my phone in my bra. Sad but true.
Brandy said…
Oh and just for Greg...please let him know I leave it on vibrate. I inow he'll have a laugh (or several) out of that!
Tabitha Blue said…
What a cool fruit bowl tradition. And, oh, I've carried my phone in my bra before, haha. Not in the padded part though.

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com