Dead Bodies

So you might know by now that Greg likes to joke around with the waiters and waitresses. Greg used to be a restaurant manager; he appreciates the hard work it requires and finds it second nature to joke with those in the same line of business.

We went to Applebee’s yesterday; our drink request was Diet Coke.

The Waitress asked, “Is Diet Pepsi OK?”

To which Greg answered, “Sure, if I can pay with Monopoly Money!”

She laughed and said, “That’s a first. Monopoly Money, I haven’t heard of that before.”

It became a running joke at our table, that she would turn the glass sideways so he didn’t see the word Pepsi.

Greg was on a roll, as he saw our waitress approach the table, he remarked loudly, “Shhhh, here she comes, stop talking about her.” Of course, we were doing nothing of the sort and she knew it.

At another point, she was taking the order from the table behind us. We were talking about the television Greg just bought. He said, “Thank you for being my calming agent.” I was glad to do so. After returning two televisions and two stands, Greg was ready to call it quits on getting a new TV. I went with him to the last two stores and he was able to find what he wanted. I didn’t help much, but just being there is sometimes all a person needs. Anyway, as the waitress approached to see how our meal was, Greg said really loudly, “And WHERE exactly did you bury the bodies?!”

The waitress couldn’t even ask us how we were doing, she looked, laughed really hard and had to turn around to leave! She later came back and said, “My manager is laughing back there after I told her about the burying the bodies comment!”

Reminds me of a trip we took to Tennessee.. Here’s snippet of the journal I wrote back then….


Leafers, Dead Bodies, Cabins and Waterfalls
~ Sevierville, Tennessee Trip, October 2006


We drove the majority of the way in one day, but stopped for the night singing the namesake of “Chattanooga Choo Choo.” The morning greeted us with fresh air and a panoramic visual of mountains on every side. The workweek washed away as the serene atmosphere offered peace and quiet. We ventured to the Cherokee national forest and walked through an Indian reservation. The path was pretty, but we felt that the buildings were too contrived. Then again, we were Leafers, in search of nature adorning her fall bouquet.

Our scenic route, via Greg's GPS, took us on an attraction in and of itself, offering pullovers as the road meandered along a tumbling creek. We followed a sign for camping sites via a road not paved and dense with lowland forest canopy. When we found an area that was close to the creek, Greg pulled over. Weathered roots and rocks were our playgrounds as we made it to the water. I have to admit that I'm grateful Greg talked me into getting hiking shoes! They were perfect for this trip.


With the windows down and the rooftop open, we turned back to his SUV and down the path we came. I must have been in la-la land, because when Greg yelled out, “There was a dead body! Did you see that?!” I thought for sure he was joking. I looked at him with a “yeah, right” face and he said, “I'm not kidding.” The expression he returned was incredulous as he put the vehicle in reverse. At first glance, I said, “No, that's just trash in the water, something blue.”

And then, I saw it, two boots at the end of the fabric and I could make out a human figure floating but not moving. “Oh My God!” It wasn't just ONE body, it was TWO floating in the water. And NO, I am NOT kidding, there were bodies floating in the river, faces down, bodies not moving but for the current pushing them into the riverbank! All those horror movies and news on the television about people dumping bodies in the river came rushing through my mind.

It took a second for us to realize that those were the two men we had passed along the side of the road. We saw their snorkels in the water and knew they were OK. But, tell me, WHO snorkels in inches of water? The water was as clear as could be and they couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 inches in the water, if that! We laughed for a good while, looking at each other and saying, “Dead Bodies!” Greg even commented, “I was trying to figure out how to get a message to 911 because we didn't have any bars on the cell phone.” Ah, that got the blood pumping!



There's more from the trip journal, maybe I'll share it at another time, but I couldn't resist the memory.

Comments

larkswing said…
{{chuckling}} love the Tennessee story! I bet they were looking for arrowheads or Indian artifacts - but no doubt the initial appearance and thoughts will always give you smile and great story!
GypsiAdventure said…
hahaha - that is too funny. I bet you two just made the waitress' night!
~K
Wep said…
ROFLMAO. THAT was awesome.
Lilly said…
How funny is that - dead bodies!!! It will be a running joke for the rest of your lives now. Greg would have made that waitress' night I think - it is far better getting a customer in who treats you in a nice way then one who is horrible, even if he is making jokes non stop. You have to love people who can make people laugh I think. Humor is a wonderful quality! And so is being a calming influence too! Great post Aleta.
hey, she was a good sport too, wasn't she?
Debbie Y. said…
The waitress thing is what my hubby does too. He always wants to keep his waitress happy and laughing cause they want to come back to our table over and over again. We get good service that way. He also tips good.

The Tennessee story about stopped my heart. I thought you had actually seen real dead bodies. Luckily that was not the case. It was such a wonderful relaxing story about the foliage and scenery until you about ripped my heart right out of my chest. Youa re a good story teller. I am sure you have told that one before to others.
I would have jumped out of my skin until long after I figured out they were just snorkeling, Aleta !

I like the song "chattanoooga-choo-choo too.

How come some people think diet coke and diet pepsi are interchangeable ? They aren't, sigh.
Jennifer said…
Very funny--I'm sure you made the waitress' night! And the other story is first scary then funny!
Sukku said…
Loved the first story....man ... how could you be so funny....take care and I would be sending you some monopoly money as gift(for the post)...lol
Karen said…
I love being with people like Greg who just make you laugh all the time. You must have an overload of endorphins in your system at all times Aleta.
Hippomanic Jen said…
Dead bodies! That must have been a huge shock, which would make it funnier when you realised. All that adreniline wasted!
Tabitha Blue said…
Haha, great story.. er, stories!! Thanks so much for the well wishes and warm comment!!

My husband is right up there with Greg... well, sounds like Greg may have actually ended up drinking the Pepsi, which my husband wouldn't... he can't stand Diet Pepsi, but loves Diet Coke. I told him the line your husband used and I'm sure I can expect that comment the next time he orders Diet Coke and they offer Diet Pepsi!!
I love this! I'm stealing this for the next time we go out to dinner.
Brandy said…
Sounds like he knows how to have a good time...I love it!

At least the waitress could take a joke. I've had some doozies that didn't appreciate our humor at all.
Vikki North said…
That's so incredible and funny, Aleta. It might also show the influence of TV shows like CSI on us all. We're all crime scene investigators today. We're ready for anything!

You and Greg are quite a pair.
Vikki
Kavi said…
Snorkelling dead bodies ! Hmm !

:)

I sure am going to try something out the next time we are out at dinner
nikkicrumpet said…
Nothing better than being around people who make you laugh. It's good exercise and it makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy!
C said…
I wish you could send a little of your warmness up here! Wanted to thank you for the comment and tell you that you are the type of tables I LOVE to get when I waitress!
Kellan said…
Great sounds like a lot of fun to be around - what a hoot!!

Have a good Sunday, Aleta - see you - Kellan
Kristi said…
As a former waitress and bartender, customers like Greg are SO appreciated. I'm betting that you got great service because of it!! I mean, sheesh, if anyone deserves a little cheering up during their day, it's a waitress!!!