Closer to God

Tonight was a beautiful evening. There was a light, sweet breeze in the air. I was happy that Greg wanted to go to church for the Wednesday mass.

Greg and I will be married in the Episcopal faith. When Greg reconnected with a childhood friend, Ken, he learned that Ken was a Episcopal Priest. It was interesting to learn about the Episcopal faith. I liked that they allowed women to become Priests and that the Priests could get married. The faith seemed more in tune to today’s world, but traditional in worshipping God.

When we first approached Father Ken about the idea of marrying us, he said he would be glad to do so, but because I am divorced, we would need to have meetings and then a request would have to be made for the Bishop’s approval. Father Ken couldn’t conduct the meetings, because he knew Greg personally. Father Ken recommended that we see Father AJ Heine, who is the Priest at St. Augustine’s Church in the city where we live.

What a wonderful gift that Father Ken sent into our lives! Father AJ is a kind and sincere priest. Greg and I have both said that Father AJ definitely found his calling!

I have to be honest and say I was nervous about how Father AJ would perceive me, because I am divorced twice. I won’t go into the reasons behind those divorces, not in this public blog, because that’s unfair to the other parties and quite honestly, it’s in the past.

Father AJ did ask about the past, in order to understand us as individuals and as a couple. He started off by saying, “I’m not here to judge you…” And he wasn’t. I never felt judged by him. In fact, if anything, he was compassionate about my experience. He also asked questions delving into our backgrounds, family history, values, future plans and our faith. I remember thinking, “I wish I had this type of meeting with a Priest before. This is what couples should go through before getting married.”

From the meetings that we had with Father AJ over the couple of months we were first engaged, I felt as though he came to know us and we felt accepted not only by Father AJ, but also within the church community. St Augustine’s Church felt like home.

I’m writing this to give a background of how we came into this community. It makes my heart happy to share the Episcopal faith with Greg (a renewed start for both of us), for us to be a part of God’s word and His love. Father Ken lead us to the place and Father AJ welcomed us in!

The first time after Greg’s accident that we returned to the church (2 Sundays ago), I was emotional. When Father AJ greeted us after the service and said how happy he was to see us ~ Father AJ’s face held sincerity.. his words were…. Honest! It made me want to cry. I did cry, because there is so much to be grateful for!

We went to church tonight, on a Wednesday. It was a small gathering, but Oh! How perfect was the weather! I was tickled when we found out that the evening mass would be conducted outside.



The church is lovely, but there’s something… about being outside ~ makes me feel closer to God. I can’t explain, but it felt like a special evening.




I took some pictures this evening and wanted to share them with you. The first is a picture going up the front walkway into St. Augustine Episcopal Church. There is a lovely courtyard in the middle. On the right is the church. Greg is in the next picture, waiting for mass to start ~ outside!










Father AJ was kind to oblige my request. The church community is very fortunate to have him at St. Augustine's! He's standing by the bell in the courtyard. Did I mention that they ring this bell right before church and you don't realize just how loud it is until you sit next to it.



Father AJ told us that this Saturday is the Blessing of Pets! I hope we do this.

I like how involved the church community is. It’s not a large church, but the people have a lot of heart. After Gustav, a group from St. Augustine’s went to areas that were hit hard and offered to assist elderly people to restore their property. I sense a lot of kindness and open-heartedness from the fellow parishioners and I want to be a part of that….

Comments

Lilly said…
That is a wonderful post. It's funny but I was talking about this whole sense of a 'church community' with my mother and sister this past week. My mother was telling us that when we were children she and my father were very involved with the church and its extended community. I do remember all the meetings, charity, fund raising etc. It just doesn't exist as much now for many people and I think that causes lots of issues. When you think of it we have our priorities all wrong.

It's great that you and Greg are doing this together and that you have found such great priests.

I like the idea of having Mass outdoors too. And that bell takes me back to my childhood in the country. Our old church had a bell just like this.

I love your posts Aleta and you speak straight from the heart always. It's just lovely to find what you know to be right and you wouldnt have that sense of sureness unless you had been through what you have. It all happens for a reason even though we often dont see it until we look backwards. Don't apologise to anyone for your life.

It sounds like you are doing all you can to have a very happy and secure future together. I wish you and Greg the very, very best and thanks for sharing these important parts of your life with us.
A New Yorker said…
I am very happy for you...however I read recently some not so wonderful things about this church and a priest and it being political etc...and forgive me but I didn't save the article and can't push it to you. But it wasn't good at all. I also know they are supporting (not your particular church in your area-but the episcopal church itself) anti-Israel activities. So I hope you can be a positive change for your church. You're a spectacular person with a very independent mind and I am so glad I know you through this blogging world and can share this with you. Even if it's not what you had hoped to hear from me today.
Kavi said…
Congratulations ! All the very best as you move ahead in your life !

Life offers so many options and choices. At each fork, there are new options and life offers choice !

Am glad you are exercising that choice well !!

Congratulations once again !
tiffany1377 said…
What a beautiful church! You're wedding will be lovely!!
Aleta said…
Hi Lilly ~ I think more church communities are starting to gather. In this day and age, we need each other as support and for kindness and understanding. There's a lot to give in our lives and a lot of people that need the giving. I'm glad to have brought you happy childhood memories. That bell is a beauty, but oh my, does she ring! Thank you for what you wrote, Lilly, that means a lot to me. I believe in the path that we go through ~ you learn and you continue on until you find the meaning of life and somewhere in that meaning, I'm absolutely positive is to know joy and share it with others. I've found that with Greg and I'm happy that our path was brought Closer to God.

Hi Lauren ~ I haven't heard anything political coming from the church that I participate in. Now you have me curious and I might search Google for any information. I imagine that where there is power and where there are opinions ~ both of which are easily found ~ there will be issues. I hope this isn't the case. I have political views, but I wouldn't bring it to church. As for what you wrote, don't worry if it's not something I want to hear or not. I'd rather the honesty.

Hi Kavi ~ Thank you. You're right. Life is about choices and it's nice to hear that someone thinks I'm on the right path!

Hi Tiffany ~ Thank you for stopping by. It is a lovely church. Originally we planned to get married at home. Father AJ offered the church to us for our wedding, but we're still unsure of the plans as of yet. We do know that Greg's friend, Father Ken, will marry us.
Renae said…
How did I miss this post? This is a wonderful post. I'm so glad you have found a church where you feel at home, where you feel God's love and acceptance being wrapped around you. I am so, so happy for you.
Aleta said…
Renae ~ Thank you for being happy for us. It is a wonderful feeling to know that there is a church and a community where we can share God's love.