First day of Fall

I wish I could take credit for the picture to the left. It was sent to me in an email, without recognition for the photographer. If anyone knows who it belongs to, please let me know so that I can give credit where it is due. I wrote the poem (below) after looking at the picture. How I wish we had such lovely fall colors here. Instead, one could go into green overload with our evergreen trees!




First Day

Crisp days, when the sunsets explode,
makes for faster, deeper feelings,

Trees cling to the leaves
and it leaves me welcoming
the golden hues, as if tipped in
a kaleidoscopic riot of color.

Crisp days, when the sunrise expands
and wind rushes up the crunch of fallen

foliage, like skirts upon the ground
brings back a childhood urge to
jump and kick my way through

Crisp days, when sun is high
and spicy scents hover around

the wood fires burning, the spicy
cinnamon and pumpkin pie,
roasted chestnuts, makes me
want to hold traditions hand

Crisp days, in a loving embrace
the blood rushing to my face

From the tickle of chilled air
the autumn breeze announcing
Mother Nature's winding the clock
and giving us reason for change

Autumn ~ it's the backdrop of
love , that magic of colors and
senses, the nestling into the arms

~ harvesting fruits of memories to season

And for the artists out there or for those who never wanted to give up the crayons (that would be me)... Here's a fun test to take that I found on another blog. I didn't take my time on it, but still scored a 16. Zero is the perfect score. It's a color test where you match the hues on each line in gradation. Do this when you have some time and enjoy!

Click Here

If you take the test, I'd love to know how you did!

Comments

Vikki North said…
Your poem is beautiful. You carried me right along with you on the memory trail of fall sensations and aromas. You're really very good poet Aleta.
Vikki
Jennifer said…
Oh I love your poem! Beautifully done! And that picture--breathtaking! I wish I was staring at that scene in real life right now!

I'm off to take the color test--I'll be back to report my score...
Jennifer said…
Darn it--I can't get the link to work! Could be my computer b/c it's been acting up...I'll try again tomorrow!
Lilly said…
Crisp days, when the sunrise expands
and wind rushes up the crunch of fallen

I love these lines. You are a talented poet. Just beautiful.

Seems strange because we are in Spring her but you almost made me want it to be Autumn after reading the poem.

By the way I looked at your gorgeous photos. The wedding looked great fun and a happy time! I loved your hair and the colour red on you too!
GypsiAdventure said…
Very pretty picture and wonderful poem. Fall is always a welcome change from summer in my neighborhood!

Have a great day!
~K
Lindsey said…
So that color test was SO hard...I got a 27. I'm blaming it on my inadequate computer screen colors!!
A New Yorker said…
Lovely photo. Poem is so nice. I usually don't like poems but yours was terrific!
A New Yorker said…
Your score: 10
Gender: Female
Age range: 30-39
Best score for your gender and age range: 0
Highest score for your gender and age range: 1476
Unknown said…
Lovely poem!! I'll try to find the time to take the color test and let you know how I did... :)
polona said…
your poem is just beautiful, and i suspect there's a lot of photoshp magic in that photo - it still looks gorgeous, though.

i took the test on another computer a couple of weeks ago and scored 3
on my laptop i only managed 74
so i think it much depends on the monitor
Debbie Y. said…
I have always said that Fall weather makes me "frisky." It was never a sexual word for me. Your poem describes what I meant by the word "frisky" perfectly. Thanks for making it real. Your poem is lovely.
Aleta said…
Vikki ~ Coming from an artist such as yourself, I consider that a high compliment. Thank you!

Hi Jennifer ~ Thank you. I wish it were real life right now too. I hope you were able to try the color test at another time.

Hi Lilly ~ I would be happy with Spring too. Anything over these hot, humid summers. I wish we had the lovely fall colors like they do up north, but I’ll take whatever cooler weather they can ship our way. And thank you for the compliments on my hair (I can never make it look that nice, Lol) and the color red – it’s one of my favorite colors.

Hi Kel ~ I’m glad you enjoyed the poem. And I know what you mean about Fall being a welcomed change.

Hi Lindsey ~ I think 27 is pretty good if you look at the higher scores. But inadequate computer screen colors is a good reason too.

Wow, Lauren ~ that’s a fantastic score on the color test! And thank you for the sweet compliment about my poem, especially if you don’t normally like poetry.

Hi A Bun’s Life ~ Glad you enjoyed the poem. Let me know how you do with the test.

Hi Polona ~ I thought the same thing about photoshop in the photo, but hey, whatever works for my poetic muse makes me happy. I used to write a poem a day, but for a while now, my muse has been quiet. I loved the bright, cheerful colors in the pictures. Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment!

Hi Debbie ~ There you go ~ Frisky – see, that’s a perfect summation of the poem and the season. Thanks for understanding and for enjoying!
Anonymous said…
awesome picture. A round of applause for the photographer...
Aleta said…
I agree with you Hobo. I wish I knew who took the picture.

Greg sent my poem to his brother and his brother emailed a response. This is the O'Brien sense of humor for you:

"As Rocky, The Flying Squirrel would say,

An Autumnal Effusion of Magniferent Wordification..."