Evacuation Meal

Mother Nature has us on pins and needles. We decided to evacuate last night. I'm someone who rarely drives the Interstate. I live within 10 minutes from work, with stores within close proximity of home, so the Interstate just isn't a daily part of my life. (I'll make the exception for a Cat 4 hurricane, which is what Gustav was when we left.)

So, there I was, nervous about driving (Greg was in no way in any condition to drive), it was late so I was tired, traffic was bumper to bumper and people on edge were riding on the same road. I remember why I don't drive much at night (because of nightblindness and my eyes were getting dry so I'd have to blink them rapidly because it would get blurry for a second) and then it started to rain.

But I got us safely to Hammond, counting that as a blessing (especially when Greg said, "The last time I drove in rain, it didn't have a good ending" which only more put my nerves on end and made me want to cry. That wasn't the time for emotions, sometimes you just have to suck it up.)

We were fortunate that my grandmother knows someone who owns a hotel chain; they reserved 3 bedrooms for us. It's closer to Gustav's path, yet close enough to home and out of the fish bowl of Metairie and New Orleans.


I'm glad we left when we did, because today we could relax a little. Greg's back and legs were really bothering him with the drive; it's good that we didn't have further to go. This morning, my parents asked if we could find a grocery store and pick up a few items. My parents had the majority of the food and they wanted us to find charcoal so they could cook on the outside barbeque pits.


Lady luck wasn't on our side for the purchase, that said Greg had the wisdom to bring his butane cooker and 4 tanks. It was amazing to see how colorless the flame is and later how quickly it cooled yet was strong enough on just one burner to cook a large amount of food! Greg said, "I bet there aren't many refugees who are enjoying a meal of filet mignon right now!" Leave it to my Dad to bring that. Hehe


Now it's the wait and see. I hope it's a time for Greg to relax more and that we'll have a home to come home to with no damage. Saying prayers for all those in the path.

Comments

GypsiAdventure said…
Glad you guys got away from the potental flooding...I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers as it nears...hopefully all will end well!
~K
Lilly said…
Stay safe and take care of youselves. I too will keep you in my prayers. And by the way how great are you for overcoming your fears and just doing it. Well done.