Kumusta Ka?

"Kumusta Ka?" (How are you?) This is how Greg and I greeted my brother and his fiancé, Roda, the other night when they came over to play Canasta.

Roda is originally from the Philippines, but she lived in Dubai when Rob met her. They have been engaged for a year and it took that long to go through the red tape of getting her Engagement Visa. We were so happy to finally meet her!


My parents, Greg and I stayed at the house to cook a nice meal, not just for Rob and Roda, but for the crew that came in. Below is a picture at my parents' home, Rob is on the sofa on the far right and Roda is next to him.





Poor heart, here she was in a plane for 15 hours and I’m sure the last thing she wanted to do was feel the need to entertain or feel the need to do anything other than sleep!

Below is a picture of mom, MawMaw and me.


When Rob and Roda came over for Canasta yesterday night, we had a blast! Roda is an intelligent woman and caught on very quickly to the many rules of the card game. Afterwards we went to Café du Monde. It’s a treat for any tourists (and natives) ~ to have coffee and beignets.

Normally on the table there is a canister of powdered sugar, but when we didn’t see it, Greg went to the cashier and came back with a BOWL of powdered sugar. We laughed that if someone sneezed it would make a mess. Greg commented, "Aleta is the only woman I know that can wear a black shirt and black pants and not get any powdered sugar on her." I think this next picture is priceless ~ the first time Roda tried a beignet and look at Rob’s expression!


After beignets, we went to the Lakefront and enjoyed a breeze along the pier. It was a lovely night!
If you'd like to learn a couple of phrases from the Philippine language, Tagalog, click here. Not only will it give you the phrase, but if you click on it, you can hear how the words are pronounced as well.

Comments

GypsiAdventure said…
Looks like a wonderful evening for everyone and the beignets look yummy. I sure miss those!

How are the wedding plans coming?
~K
Unknown said…
I was hoping to go by the Cafe Du Monde this week. And, by coincidence, my principal in Honduras this year is originally from the Phillipinnes. Very interesting culture.
It's always such interesting fun when you welcome people from different cultures into the family. My brother's wife is Indian like us, but she is from Karnataka, a different province from Bengal (we are Bengalis). There are huge differences in language, cuisine and other things. But whenever we meet or get in touch, it's always fun to learn. She's became a really good friend of mine over the years.

all the best to you, too.
Vikki North said…
Very nice story, Aleta. What fun to welcome some one new into your family. I'm sure she was very grateful to all of you.
Vikki
Anonymous said…
That sounds like so much fun--now I'm craving a nice hot beignet!
Aleta said…
Hi Kel ~ Isn't it interesting how certain foods bring back fond memories? Thanks for asking, the wedding plans are coming along very nicely! Greg's childhood friend is a priest and will be marrying us. Another one of Greg's friends is a videographer and he's going to do the videography. Friends are pitching in to help make the food. Now, we just need to find a reasonable rental place to rent a tent and chairs (if we can't use the ones from my mom's school). I'm a little nervous about everything coming together. *smiles*


Hi Jen ~ I love beignets. As natives, we don't think about going there unless it's a special occassion or relatives come in to visit. When I was a little girl, we'd go to the French Market, the Quarter and end up at Cafe du Monde. It brings back happy memories!


Hi Vikki ~ You're right about that ~ welcoming in a new member to the family is fun. She's very sweet and they make a cute couple. They've been through a lot to finally get her to the States, due to all the paperwork and such. I'm glad she's here and glad to see them happy together.


Hi Sucharita Sarkar ~ I love to learn about new cultures, which is one of the reasons I love the Internet. It's filled with all sorts of knowledge and tidbits of how people are different. One thing I thought was funny ~ in Tagalog, they say "oh oh" for Yes. But in America, if you say "oh oh" - it's usually "oh no, something's wrong." Talk about getting the wires crossed if you don't understand someone's language and culture!


Hi Laurie ~ I'd love to read more about yoru principal from Honduras. Did your principle share much about the Philippine culture?
Stacey said…
Hi Aleta....
Hope your well.

Roda probably was tired after her long trip, but I bet she was so happy to be greeted like this, as you all made her feel part of the family, which is wonderful...

and those beignets look yummy ;-D
Rashikaps said…
Interesting read, Aleta. Your family sounds like a bunch of warm, fun loving people.. lucky Roda. I really liked the pendulum clock on the wall.. Have an antique clock like that ..over a 100 years old it is.. love such stuff..
Aleta said…
Hi Stacey ~ Roda is going to be a delightful addition to the family. She has a beautiful smile and I like her spirit! I’m glad she’s feeling more and more comfortable with the family.


Hi Rashikaps ~ Thank you for your kind words about my family. I’m very fortunate to be a part of it and I think having family is important. That’s one of the thing that I appreciate about Greg is that he feels the same way regarding his family. Oh and I think the clock is lovely too. It chimes at every hour and half hour.
tina said…
hehe, is it difficult to say "oo" with an american accent? :) it's supposed to be pronounced quickly, because the vowels in tagalog are short...

useful link for tagalog phrases by the way, although the occasional greetings at the bottom of the page are a bit too formal, especially if they should come from a foreigner ^^
MaricrisG said…
I remembered when I first came here. I was literally zombie-like with sleepiness. But I managed to stay up until I conked out like a log!