Thought for the Day

A friend of the family sent an email to me and with this friend’s permission, I wanted to share it on my blog:

"I communicate with most my friends and business associates via e-mail, I have access to e-mail on my BlackBerry and it’s become an important part of my life. However, I never expected that e-mail had reached critical mass until my doctor, dentist and LAWN CARE company asked me for my e-mail address. Yep, LAWN CARE companies want to send me e-mails and conduct business this way.

Did you know that every e-mail on the internet is sent unencrypted? Yes, that means that any third party, the internet service provider, telecom company, employer or any institution in the route between the mail servers can read your e-mail messages. My first exposure to this reality was in the Summer of 1995 when I worked on a mail server that connected a e-mail system to the internet. When I was working on that system, a few e-mail messages lost in the mail system. When I recovered the messages two choice words caught my eye… "tonight’s rendezvous" . I don’t know what overcame me but I read the whole e-mail. I learned that people were having an affair and they were scheduling their next ‘encounter’. I still feel guilty for reading it and it was not ethical.

So what is my point? Most of the time e-mails go unread. However, I would suggest you avoid the self incriminating communications."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for stopping by and your kind words! It's funny really, how technology has fundamentally taken over our communications today and almost everything thing is done thru some type of email. In most cases 'home' use is anything but encrypted, however there are ways to do so with little to no money involved. I was thinking about just this thing today (my primary job functions deal with computer systems and email) with home security...I'll have to put some thought into it because even I am guilty of being lax with home security in some areas and over the top in others.

It's always great to meet new people...have a great day!
~k
Aleta said…
Hi Kel,

I enjoyed visiting your site and hope to return again. If it wasn't for my brother and Greg, I wouldn't have any type of security on my computer. I know enough about computers to be "dangerous" as my brother says - enough to be dangerous and mess things up (and not on purpose!) Lol

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and say Hello!

Aleta
tina said…
i read an article on livescience.com about "internet black holes"; a couple of researchers (can't remember their names ^^;) think that these black holes are responsible for lost emails. while i was reading the article i found it hard to take it seriously, but they're right; lots of email do get lost inexplicably en route. a black hole seems to explain everything perfectly. :)

it's not just email that's unencrypted; pretty much everything on the web is. encryption takes extra time; the web would be a good deal slower if everything that had to be encrypted was. anyway, at least services like yahoo! and google provide encrypted sign-in pages for their email websites... though of course, it would be weird if they didn't ^^;
Aleta said…
Hi Tina,

Thank you for your comment. Based on your words, I did some researching about the Internet Black Hole and come to find out, it seems to happen quite often.

There is supposedly a team that monitors the Internet for such problems and "map" where the problems are around the world.

So many times I think it's my computer or the wireless connection when an email doesn't go through or a response from a website, but now I will wonder.... "was in the black hole....." Like a theme from the twilight zone!

Thanks for your comment and thoughts!