Positive Spins

Everything gets compared to Katrina when you don’t have something that you take for granted. The water lines were turned off all day. Someone backed up into the fire hydrant that services our street. When the water department realized what happened, the first crew came out to do a repair. Only, the hydrant was built in the 1950’s and they couldn’t just fix it, they had to replace it. (Goes to show you that those hydrants were built right! It took someone backing into it to take it out of commission!)

The second crew came in with the new hydrant and of course, there’s the "it’s never an easy" fix type of situation with parts that didn’t quite go right and having to get another piece. The biggest factor in the 12 hour project was because the first crew didn’t tell the second crew that when the hydrant was backed into, it broke a water line.

Hence, when the second crew turned on the new hydrant, it blew up the service line that was cracked! During all this time, we had to remember that we couldn’t flush the toilets or take a shower or have water from the faucet or give water to the pets. Greg said, "It feels like Katrina." The things we take for granted.

Recently I read a post about positive thoughts and how negative thoughts can control our actions and the outcome of situations. I’ve noticed that Greg has positive thoughts more often than not. When he forgot to bring the leftover food into the house from when we went out to eat, he came back in from the vehicle the next morning and said, "Well, I saved us about 5,000 calories!" Now, that’s a positive spin. He could have become irritated that we wasted money with spoiled food, but instead ~ he looked not only for the positive, but for the funny.

I thought about this water issue and how it could make anyone fussy. Instead, I pondered on a positive, "Well, at least it’s not the electricity going out in the middle of summer!" and "At least we have Diet Coke in the refrigerator to drink and some cold water in the refrig to feed the pets."

Positive thoughts helped me to have a positive attitude and thereby, when I approached the water department supervisor who was on duty, to keep a calm demeanor and find out what was going on. It’s a lot easier to find out information when you’re nice to people. She didn’t sense any attitude from me and was polite in return. When the water finally came back on, I said, "I appreciate you being out here all this time and getting it taken care of." She smiled and replied, "That’s my job. I appreciate your patience."

And I appreciate that Greg’s natural tendency is to look for the good when it would be so much easier to see the bad. That’s one of the many reasons I love him!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks so much for your sweet comments--positive thoughts really DO make a difference in how we experience life. There's always a way to look at a situation in a positive light. I love Greg's attitude--it's so inspiring to be around / hear about people who choose positivity!
Anonymous said…
The good old sunny side.

Don't get me wrong, I like to live there, just sometimes... you get the sense that you're lying to yourself about how you really feel.
Aleta said…
Hi Jen,

I used to think I was a positive thinker, but after reviewing some of my thoughts (as an exercise from your site), I realized that I'm a "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" person. It's good in that I am prepared, but the flip side is that in the preparation, the negative aspects can drown out the possibilities. It's something I'm glad I'm aware of now.

So, thanks again for your insight (and for commenting here). And yes, I love Greg's attitude too!
Aleta said…
Hi J-Mo ~ the sunny side is not the same as rose-colored glasses. I know some folks who wear those tinted shades and I don't think it's a healthy balance, where the lying can take place. However, looking for the good when it seems like it's only negative, that's the sunny part and I'm liking it. Thanks for your comment!
Jaquanda Rae said…
Glad I found this blog. Very refreshing.
Aleta said…
Hi Jaquanda Rae,

Thank you for stopping by and I'm glad you find my blog refreshing. That's how I view life, refreshing ~

I enjoyed visiting your site as well.

Aleta
Hi Aleta, just read this post.
I don't look on the bright side very often. I guess it's easier to assume the worst and then you might be pleasantly surprised. But I think I only assume the worst if it looks most likely. It often seems to look most likely though. Boo-hoo. ;-)
Aleta said…
Hi Paul Bernard,

Yes, I noticed that your writing tends to lean in the shadows. Not saying it doesn't make for interesting writing and sometimes leaves a haunting memory.... but to live that way would depress me. I'm more of a Polly Anna myself, but try to make sure my glasses aren't rose tinted. I hope you don't think life is "most likely" the "worst"??
Anonymous said…
I really believe in positive thoughts and the impact they can have on our lives/day/etc. Katrina has touch many of our lives in different ways, I don't think I will ever look at life quite the same since that fateful occasion. (I live in gulfport MS. at the time and it was...unimaginable).
~k
Aleta said…
Hi Kel, I agree ~ when all you have left in life is the attitude to carry, having a positive one helps to get through the loss of so much. We don't need much, you know... even a roof over our head, we can make a new one. We can start over again, but that's the difference, the positive spin, that carries us on. The very weekend before Katrina I was in Gulfport, MS, looking at the amazing homes. I still have a business card from a restaurant I ate at - it's no longer there and I treasure that little card...