Poetic Renderings

Henriette’s comment made me reminiscent of the poetry forum I used to run. I don’t write much poetry now, but from time to time I’ll try a form or two. For those who might want to do the same, here's a few, including examples I wrote for each.

Hummingbird Palindrome

hummingbirds
dance and flirting to
tender blossom sweet
with sunrise delight
~ Fragrance ~
delight sunrise with
sweet blossom tender
flirting and dance to
hummingbirds

* Palindrome Form ~ carefully placing words to form the sentence, whether it is read forward or backward.



Clerihew ~ Southern Belle

Scarlett, belle of the ball, living in chaotic years
defending against carpetbaggers and fighting tears
With attitude and self confidence to spare
living vicariously, gutsy, no-nonsense and flare

A Clerihew is a verse consisting of two couplets and a specific rhyming scheme, usually aabb and is about a person/character within the first rhyme. Poetic Renderings (forum name) was based on "Gone With The Wind" so I couldn't resist writing about Scarlett O'Hara's character.


Rope
restrain, secure
tying, binding, climbing
hemp, linen, cotton, synthetic
bouncing, buffering, coiling
shiny, slinky
Spring


That's the Diamonte form, each line describes the first and last subject. There are more rules to the form so if you're interested, I'd be glad to share them with you.


Panoramic View

where eagles' nest, earth and sky become one
mountains flow to endless fields of colorful wild flowers
this makes me ponder what can and cannot be undone
how natural serenity is one of God's graceful powers

mountains flow to endless fields of colorful wild flowers
I linger, drinking in the clean, cool, crisp air
how natural serenity is one of God's graceful powers
it is here that life's disappointments find repair

I linger, drinking the clean, cool, crisp air
between flora and fauna in quiet solitude
it is here that life's disappointments find repair
watching pink sunsets shower celestial latitude

between flora and fauna in quiet solitude
this makes me ponder what can and cannot be undone
watching pink sunsets shower celestial latitude
where eagles' nest, earth and sky become one

"Panoramic View" is an example I wrote as a pantoum. The pantoum is a series of quatrains rhyming ABAB with the second and fourth lines recur as the first and third lines in the following quatrian.

If interested, you can find more of my poetry by clicking here.

Comments

Laurel said…
I like the challenge of writing sestinas.
Aleta said…
Hi! I agree, Sestinas are a challenge. Have you posted any of your poetry to share? If you click on the click that I provided, look for my poem, "Kokopelli" - it's my first attempt at a Sestina. I wrote it while I was a refugee from Katrina. My muse needed a release from the tension of the time.
Anonymous said…
Hi Aleta,
Palindrome is a very challenging form, you created it very cleverly, I have to have a go at it.
And I love 'Panoramic View', it is a wonderful picture you painted. The first and the last lines are so powerful.
'where eagles' nest, earth and sky become one' majestic!
Aleta said…
Hi Henriette,

Thank you for your kind words. I agree that the Palindrome is a challenge. It is deceiving when you look at it. Have a go for it and I'd love to read your poem. While I was writing the Palindrome, I thought, "I wonder if someone with dyslexia would find this form easier?"

And thank you for the compliments on "Panoramic View" ~ Majestic is the word, as I was thinking of the mountain ranges and a panoramic view. When nature is all around and that beautiful, you feel part of it...