Spirit Story Chapter 17

Chapter 17


Six months later, Eliza Jane Ward had a marker. It was small, simple. The historical society had arranged it after the parish approved the corrected burial record.


ELIZA JANE WARD

1873–1891

HER NAME IS REMEMBERED


Mara disliked the last line initially. Claire loved it. They compromised by leaving it exactly as Claire wanted. Mara maintained this was not compromise. Claire maintained that winning was a form of compromise.


Margaret Vale and Thomas Mercer were included in a small historical exhibit about the recovered records and the people who had protected Eliza.


Silas Bell’s story was presented carefully. Documented claims only. No embellishment. No convenient villainy where evidence did not support it.


Mara insisted. Helen agreed. Claire complained that historical accuracy was ruining a perfectly good scandal.


Daniel came to the exhibit. He stood in front of Thomas’s photograph.


“That’s your ghost?”


“Guide.”


Daniel turned slowly. Mara closed her eyes.


He grinned. “Oh, this is spectacular.”


“Don’t.”


“You correct people now.”


“I correct terminology.”


“Of course you do.”


He wandered toward Margaret’s display, then stopped.


“Mara.”


“What?”


“Are you okay?”


She looked at him, the teasing was gone.


“Yes.”


“You’ve been different.”


That irritated her.


“How?”


“I don’t know.”


“Then that’s not a useful observation.”


“There she is.”


He smiled and walked away.


Mara remained. Different. She wasn’t sure that was true. She still trusted controls. She still disliked unsupported conclusions. She still corrected Claire’s exaggerations and Daniel’s terminology. She still believed an unexplained observation was unexplained—not miraculous. But the black notebook remained in her desk at home.


She no longer needed it beside her bed.



They visited Eliza’s grave before leaving. Claire carried flowers. Mara carried nothing.


“You could have brought flowers.”


“She has yours.”


“That’s not the point.”


“What would two bouquets accomplish?”


“Beauty.”


Mara looked at the flowers.


“Fair.”


Claire laid them beside the marker, for a while they stood quietly.


Then Claire said, “So.”


“No.”


“I haven’t asked anything.”


“You’re going to.”


Claire smiled. “Do you believe in spirit guides now?”


Mara looked at Eliza’s name, then toward Margaret and Thomas’s older family plots farther across the cemetery. She thought about forty-one.


The wrist.

The scar.

Thomas’s hand.

Cedar.

Smoke.

The silver case.

The box.

Evelyn saying she’s closer.

And finally:

There are three.


Mara considered the question seriously. “I believe Evelyn knew things she couldn’t reasonably have known.”


Claire sighed. “That is not what I asked.”


“It’s the answer you’re getting.”


“I knew you’d say that.”


They began walking back toward the car. After several steps, Claire said, “You never figured out what they were guiding you toward.”


Mara stopped. “I think I did.”


Claire turned. Mara looked back at the marker.


“For most of my life, I’ve thought uncertainty was a temporary condition.”


Claire waited.


“If you don’t know, you test. If the test doesn’t answer it, you improve the method. Find better evidence. Better instrumentation. Better records.”


“Very you.”


“Yes.”


Mara looked toward Eliza’s grave.


“But sometimes you’ve done everything correctly and uncertainty remains.”


Claire nodded.


“And?”


Mara thought.


“You don’t have to fill it with nonsense.”


Claire smiled.


“But?”


Mara hated that Claire knew there was a but.


“But you don’t have to pretend the thing you can’t explain didn’t happen either.”


Claire’s smile disappeared. Mara continued walking. After a moment, Claire caught up.


“I like that.”


“I wasn’t asking.”


“I know.”


They reached the car. Claire opened the passenger door. Then paused. “Mara?”


“What?”


“If they’re really your guides, do you think they’re still around?”


Mara looked back. Three figures did not appear beneath the trees. No one waved. Nothing shimmered. The cemetery remained a cemetery. Quiet. Ordinary. Real.


“I don’t know.”


Claire smiled.


Mara opened her door, then... she smelled cedar.


Faint. Warm. Impossible to place.


She stopped. Claire was already getting into the car. Mara looked around.


No construction.

No cut branches.

No smoke.

Nothing.


The scent disappeared.


She stood there another moment. Then smiled. Very slightly.


She got into the car. Claire looked at her. “What?”


“Nothing.”


“Mara.”


“Seat belt.”


Claire stared suspiciously. Mara started the engine. On the drive home, Claire talked enough for both of them. Mara let her. And for once, when she encountered something she could not explain, she did not reach for her notebook.


She simply let it be.

Comments