Spirit Story Chapter 12

Chapter 12


Claire made it half a block. “I don’t think she knows she’s dead.” Mara kept walking.


“Mara.”


“I heard you.”


“You’re walking like she told us it’s going to rain.”


“What would you prefer I do?”


“I don’t know. React?”


“I am reacting.”


“You’re checking the pedestrian signal.”


“It says don’t walk.”


“There are no cars.”


“That doesn’t change the signal.”


Claire stared at her. “You are possibly the most frustrating person I’ve ever known.”


The light changed. Mara stepped into the crosswalk. “Daniel says that too.”


“I like Daniel.”


“You’ve never met Daniel.”


“I like him conceptually.”


They reached the other side. Claire caught Mara by the elbow. “Coffee.”


“I’ve already had coffee.”


“Then sit near coffee.”


“Why?”


“Because I need to talk about the dead woman who doesn’t know she’s dead.”


Mara looked at her. “That’s a claim.”


“Yes.”


“Not an established fact.”


Claire released her arm. “Fine. I need to talk about the allegedly dead woman who allegedly doesn’t know she’s dead.”


“Better.”


“God help me.”



The coffee shop was crowded enough that they had to take a small table near the window. Claire ordered a latte. Mara ordered tea she didn’t particularly want because occupying a table without buying anything felt wrong. She opened the black notebook. Claire looked at it.


“No.”


Mara uncapped her pen. “We need to separate what happened.”


“We need to discuss what happened.”


“That’s what I’m doing.”


“No, you’re about to perform an autopsy on a conversation.”


“That’s called analysis.”


“Normal people talk.”


“Normal people misremember.”


Claire dropped back against her chair. “Fine.”


Mara drew four columns. Claire leaned forward despite herself.


“What are those?”


“Repeated information. New information. Interpretation. Untestable claims.”


“You made categories.”


“Yes.”


“Of course you did.”


Mara wrote beneath the first heading.


Woman present. Same appearance. Silver object. Dirty hands. Digging.


Then:


Man present. Same physical injuries. Wrapped object.


Under New information, she wrote:


Man may have made wrapped object.


Third = female.


Claire tapped the notebook.


“She’s closer.”


Mara wrote it under Interpretation.


Claire frowned. “Why isn’t that new information?”


“The statement is new. Its meaning is undefined.”


“So?”


“So without knowing what closer means, we can’t evaluate it.”


“Put it in both.”


Mara looked at her. Claire shrugged. “I’m learning.”


Mara considered it. Then wrote “She’s closer” beneath New Information and drew an arrow toward Interpretation.


Claire smiled. “Look at us collaborating.”


“Don’t get excited.”


“And ‘she doesn’t know she’s dead’?”


Mara wrote that beneath Untestable claims.


Claire stared at the words. “That’s the biggest thing she said.”


“It’s the least useful thing she said.”


“How?”


“How would you test it?”


Claire opened her mouth. Closed it.


Mara waited.


“Ask her?”


“The woman who doesn’t know she’s dead?”


“Yes.”


“How?”


Claire leaned back.


“Fine.”


Mara tapped her pen against the notebook.


“The important part is that Evelyn identified the third as female without prompting.”


“Thank you.”


“I wasn’t agreeing with you.”


“You said important.”


“It is.”


Claire looked triumphant.


Mara continued. “During the first reading, Evelyn perceived a third position but did not identify sex. Today she used her spontaneously.”


“And when you pointed it out, she didn’t even remember that she hadn’t known before.”


“Yes.”


“Which is weird.”


“Yes.”


Claire froze.


Mara looked up.


“What?”


“You said weird.”


“I’ve never denied that something can be weird.”


“You usually give me a lecture afterward.”


“I can if you’d like.”


“No.”


Mara wrote:


Third-guide sex identification cannot currently be corroborated.


Claire groaned.


“She’s invisible. Of course it can’t.”


“Exactly.”


“Which brings us back to the woman we can corroborate.”


Mara stopped writing.


Claire watched her.


“The newspaper woman.”


“I know who you mean.”


“The scar.”


“One matching characteristic.”


“And the silver case.”


“Not connected to her.”


“The workshop.”


“Same region. Not connected to her.”


“The digging.”


“Not corroborated.”


“Wrist?”


“Not corroborated.”


“Dark hair?”


“Unknown.”


“Pale eyes?”


“Unknown.”


Claire folded her arms.


“So find out.”


Mara looked at her.


Claire pointed toward the notebook. “You’re the one who says we need evidence.”


“That doesn’t mean evidence exists.”


“You found a woman who lived in the right place and had an injury exactly where Evelyn said the scar was.”


“Not exactly.”


“Across the eyebrow.”


“Yes.”


“Which eyebrow?”


Mara paused.


Claire leaned forward. “Which eyebrow did Evelyn show you?”


“She touched her own left eyebrow.”


“And the newspaper?”


Mara didn’t answer.


Claire knew.


“Left.”


“The article said the wound extended across the left brow.”


Claire sat back. “Find her.”


Mara looked through the window. People passed carrying shopping bags, a delivery truck stopped at the curb, a man walked a small white dog that appeared determined to kill a pigeon. Everything outside was aggressively ordinary.


Mara closed the notebook. “All right.”


Claire smiled.


“But we’re not looking for a spirit guide.”


“Of course not.”


“We’re researching a historical person.”


“Completely different department.”


Mara narrowed her eyes.


Claire drank her latte.



The woman’s name was Margaret Vale. Mara had deliberately avoided searching her too deeply the first time. Once she’d found the eyebrow injury, she’d recognized the danger immediately. Every additional search term could become an invitation to manufacture agreement.


Now she approached Margaret differently. Mara started with records.


Born 1861.

Married 1883.

Widowed 1907.

One daughter.

Two sons, one of whom died in infancy.


Claire sat beside her at Mara’s dining table Sunday afternoon while Newton occupied the third chair. “Can I search too?”


“No.”


“Why?”


“Because you’ll search ‘Margaret Vale ghost silver box.’”


“I would not.”


Mara looked at her. “I might eventually.”


“Exactly.”


They found census records, a church notice, her husband’s obituary, a property transfer, another newspaper mention involving a charitable supper.


Nothing. Mara liked the nothing. Nothing was clean. By four o’clock, Margaret Vale had become less like a potential spirit guide and more like what she had actually been, a woman. She had attended church, donated preserves to a fundraiser, had three children and appeared once in a newspaper because her cow wandered into somebody else’s vegetable garden.


Claire laughed for nearly a minute over that.


“Do not disrespect Margaret.”


“I’m not. I love her.”


“You don’t know her.”


“Her cow ate Mr. Delacroix’s cabbages.”


“The cow did that.”


“She raised an icon.”


Mara smiled, then she found the photograph. It wasn’t attached to Margaret’s record. It appeared in a digitized anniversary booklet from the church. Mara almost passed over it, a group photograph. Approximately twenty women standing outside a wooden building. The image was grainy. Names appeared beneath. Mara enlarged the caption.


Third row.

Sixth from left.


Mrs. Margaret Vale.


Mara stopped moving.


Claire saw her face. “What?”


Mara enlarged the photograph.


The resolution degraded immediately.


“Don’t.”


“I’m not doing anything.”


Mara counted.


Third row.


One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Six.


The woman was perhaps forty in the photograph. Dark dress, high neck, hair pinned tightly behind her head.


Claire whispered, “Mara.”


“Period clothing.”


“Yes.”


“Common hairstyle.”


“Yes.”


“Black-and-white photograph. Hair could be brown.”


“Yes.”


“You cannot determine eye color.”


“I know.”


Mara enlarged the face, the image broke into grain. There was something at the left eyebrow. Maybe.


A shadow.

A defect in the photograph.

A strand of hair.


Or a scar.


Claire moved closer. “Can you see it?”


“No.”


“I can.”


“You want to.”


Claire went quiet. Mara reduced the image, then enlarged it again. Same result. Insufficient resolution. She saved the source information. Then she searched for an original copy of the photograph, nothing online. The anniversary booklet credited the image to a parish historical collection.


Mara stared at the credit. Claire read it too. “Oh.”


“No.”


“That’s Helen’s historical society.”


“I know.”


Claire reached for her phone.


Mara caught her wrist. “No.”


Claire looked down at Mara’s hand.


Mara released her immediately.


“We contact Helen tomorrow.”


“Why tomorrow?”


“Because it’s Sunday.”


“She might answer.”


“That isn’t the point.”


“You have strange rules.”


“They’re called boundaries.”


“Says the woman who interrogated me by telephone from four feet away.”


Mara closed the laptop. “That was a methodological error.”


Claire smiled. “I’m never letting that die.”



Helen called Monday afternoon. “Yes, we have it.”


Mara sat straighter at her desk. “The original photograph?”


“Assuming the catalog is correct.”


“Can I see it?”


“Of course.”


“When?”


Helen laughed. “You’re already holding your car keys, aren’t you?”


Mara looked down. She was,“No.”


“You’re a terrible liar.”


“I can be there after work.”


“I’ll be here until five.”


Mara checked the clock. 4:12.


“I’ll be there.”


Daniel looked over as she hung up. “Where are you going?”


“Historical society.”


He blinked. “I’m sorry?”


“I have personal business.”


“Is this the cat experiment?”


“No.”


“Ghosts?”


“Guides.”


Daniel smiled.


Mara closed her eyes. “Damn it.”


“You don’t even hear yourself anymore.”


“Goodbye, Daniel.”


“Tell the dead people I said hi.”


She pointed at him. “Do not make me regret ever speaking to you.”


“I think we’re years past that.”



The original photograph was larger than the reproduction. Not dramatically, enough. Helen placed it beneath a protective transparent sheet before Mara arrived.


“No touching.”


“I wasn’t going to.”


“I know. That’s why I like you.”


Mara leaned over it. The faces were clearer, still imperfect, but clearer. She found Margaret. Dark hair. Pinned tightly. Dark high-necked dress, expected for the period.

 Mara moved closer. The eyebrow. There, a pale irregular line crossed the left brow.


Mara stared at it.


Helen stood beside her. “Something interesting?”


“Maybe.”


“That’s a dangerous word in this building.”


Mara straightened. “Do you have any other photographs of this woman?”


“Name?”


“Margaret Vale.”


Helen thought. “Possibly.”


Mara waited while Helen checked the catalog. Two more references. One photograph unavailable due to condition. The other was part of a family donation that included letters and miscellaneous papers.


Helen retrieved the archival box. Mara watched every step.


Helen noticed. “You really don’t trust anyone, do you?”


“I trust procedures.”


“That’s not what I asked.”


Mara smiled faintly.


Helen opened the box.


Photographs.

Letters.

A church program.

A small handwritten recipe book.


Mara looked at the inventory. “May I?”


Helen handed it to her. Mara read. Nothing immediately useful.


Then:


Correspondence, Margaret Vale to Anne Mercer, 1889–1892.


Mara’s pulse changed. The wagon accident had occurred in 1889.


“Can I read these?”


Helen nodded.


“Pencil only if you take notes.”


Mara held up her black notebook.


“Of course.”


Helen smiled. “I should have known.”


The first letters were mundane.


Children.

Weather.

Illness.

Church.

A broken fence.


Mara read every word anyway. The second letter mentioned the accident briefly.

Margaret complained about being confined to the house. Her face was healing.

Her shoulder remained painful, nothing about her wrist.


The third letter was six weeks later. Mara almost missed it, a sentence near the bottom. She read it, then again. Helen was cataloging something at another table.

Mara copied the sentence into her notebook, not the entire passage, only what mattered.


Margaret wrote that her hand remained troublesome after the accident, pain traveled from the wrist into the thumb. She had developed a habit of rubbing the place because pressure relieved it. Mara put down the pencil, for several seconds she did nothing, then she returned to the original letter.


Read it again. Wrist. Thumb. Rubbing. Claire did not know about this letter. Evelyn could not have known Mara would find Margaret Vale. Mara hadn’t known Margaret Vale existed when Evelyn described the gesture. The silver case had not yet been found. There had been no search history. No family photographs circulating. No information pathway Mara could identify.


She took out her phone, then stopped. No photographs without permission.


“Helen?”


Helen looked up. “Can I photograph this?”


“Personal research?”


“Yes.”


“Go ahead.”


Mara photographed the letter, then the catalog information, then the box identifier.

She returned everything exactly as instructed.


Helen watched her. “You found something.”


“Yes.”


“Good something?”


“I don’t know.”


Helen smiled. “You say that a lot.”


“So does someone else I know.”


Mara looked once more at Margaret’s photograph, dark hair, scar across the left eyebrow, high-necked dress. The pale eyes remained unconfirmed. The silver object remained unconnected. The dirt remained unexplained.


But the wrist—


Mara closed her notebook.



Claire answered on the second ring. “Tell me.”


Mara was sitting in her car outside the historical society, “How do you know I found anything?”


“You called instead of texting.”


“That proves nothing.”


“Mara.”


Mara looked through the windshield,“I found another photograph.”


Silence,“Her?”


“Yes.”


“And?”


“Dark hair.”


Claire inhaled, “Pinned?”


“Yes.”


“The scar?”


“Visible.”


“Oh my God.”


“Don’t.”


“Sorry.”


“The dress is irrelevant. It’s consistent with ordinary clothing of the period.”


“Fine.”


“Eye color cannot be established.”


“Fine.”


“There is still no connection between Margaret Vale and the silver case.”


“Fine.”


“Claire.”


“What?”


“Stop saying fine like you’re waiting for me to get to something.”


“I am waiting for you to get to something.”


Mara looked down at her notebook,“I found a letter.”


Claire became quiet.


“Margaret wrote it several weeks after the wagon accident.”


“Okay.”


“She was still having pain.”


“Her eyebrow?”


“No.”


Mara paused.


“Her wrist.”


Nothing from Claire.


Mara continued. “The pain traveled from her wrist into her thumb.”


Claire whispered, “No.”


“She wrote that rubbing it helped.”


Claire said nothing. Mara could hear her breathing.


Finally: “Exactly like Evelyn did?”


Mara looked at her own wrist. She could see Evelyn at the round table. Thumb moving across the inside of her wrist.


Once.

Twice.

Again.


“Yes.”


Claire’s voice softened, “Mara.”


“I know.”


“What are you saying?”


Mara didn’t answer.


“What does this mean?”


“I don’t know.”


“Mara.”


She closed her eyes, for days she had been collecting objections. Period clothing.

Common hairstyles. Chance. Suggestion. Attentional bias. Contaminated information. Poor provenance. Uncontrolled variables.


Every objection remained valid where it applied. But this one— This one had survived.


Mara opened her eyes. “I think Evelyn knew something.”


Claire went completely silent.


Mara almost smiled.


Claire finally said, “Can you repeat that?”


“No.”


“Please.”


“No.”


“I need to record it.”


“Absolutely not.”


“Mara Ellison just admitted—”


“I said she knew something.”


“She knew something a dead woman wrote in 1889.”


“We don’t know that Margaret is the woman Evelyn saw.”


“Oh, come on.”


“We don’t.”


“Dark pinned hair.”


“Common.”


“Eyebrow scar.”


“Less common.”


“Same side.”


“Yes.”


“Wrist injury.”


“Yes.”


“Same rubbing motion.”


“Yes.”


Claire stopped. Mara waited.


Then Claire asked, much more quietly, “How many coincidences do you need?”


Mara looked toward the historical society. “I don’t know.”


That answer no longer comforted her. Claire said, “Are you scared?”


Mara considered it. “No.” And again, she meant it. Something else had replaced fear.

Curiosity, perhaps, but sharper, more demanding. At the laboratory, an unexpected result did not frighten Mara. It required investigation. She looked at Margaret’s name in her notebook. “We need to find out who she knew.”


Claire’s excitement returned instantly.


“Yes.”


“Not everything.”


“Fine.”


“We’re looking for one specific connection.”


“To the workman.”


“Yes.”


Claire made a noise that was dangerously close to a squeal.


“Control yourself.”


“I am extremely controlled.”


“You’re shouting.”


“What’s the plan?”


Mara looked at the notes from Evelyn’s first reading.


Middle-aged.

Large workman’s hands.

Suspenders.

Burn scar across right hand.

Damaged fingertip.

Cedar.

Smoke.

Something wrapped in cloth.

And now:

He made it.


Mara tapped the page.


“We find out whether Margaret Vale knew a man who worked with his hands.”


Claire laughed.


“Mara, it’s 1889.”


Mara stopped.


“That’s going to be every man in town.”


Mara stared at the notebook. “That is an excellent point.”


“Thank you.”


Mara thought.


Cedar.

Smoke.

Made something.

Burned hand.

Damaged fingertip.


Then she remembered the newspaper results from their earlier search, the workshop, the advertisements, the mill accident.


Mara straightened, “Not every man.”


Claire went quiet. “What?”


Mara opened her laptop. She searched the town. Mill. The article appeared. She had skimmed it before because she’d been looking for Margaret. This time she read the names. Three men injured, one seriously.


Mara read the first.

Nothing.


The second.

Nothing.


The third— She stopped.


Thomas Mercer, carpenter.


Mara stared at the surname.


Mercer. She opened the photograph of Margaret’s letter.


The recipient:


Anne Mercer.


Claire was still on the phone.


“Mara?”


Mara didn’t answer. She searched Thomas Mercer, another newspaper result, a business notice.


Thomas Mercer & Sons — Carpentry, Cabinetry and Fine Woodwork.


Below it:


Cedar chests made to order.


Mara sat perfectly still.


“Mara?”


She read the advertisement again, Cedar. Her skin prickled.


“Claire.”


“What?”


“I think we just found the man.”


Click here for Next Chapter

Comments