New Use for Always

Ease your mind ~ the material is thick and absorbent and designed to work with your body. It’s contoured for comfort with side-to-side protection and safe to fall asleep. That’s right folks, Greg has found a new use for my Always Pads with Wings.

He didn’t feel that the regular gauze was holding the stuff oozing (sorry to be gross) from his arm wound, so he took out my feminine protection and cut it into squares (minus the wings, he claims they are useless, but I disagree!).

Maybe we could write to Always and have a new commercial for them or send a note to the hospitals. "Not only can it be used for cycles, but is better than gauze for keeping a wound dry!"

When Mom and Roda heard what Greg did, they busted out laughing and Roda asked, “Was it the scented kind?” Hehe I was shocked when Rob didn’t blink an eye and could see where Greg was coming from, while we women laughed about it.

Hey, if it works!

Now, I just need to remember to pack the Always pads for Greg (not me) if we evacuate for Gustav. I did change out Greg’s wound dressing today for the first time. He wanted to make sure I could do this in case Roda wasn’t there if we evacuated to different places.

Here’s a picture of something else that has been very helpful after the car accident. Greg is using my grandmother’s chair to sleep in. When my grandmother lived with my parents and couldn’t help them to help herself up and down from a chair, they purchased the type of chair that lifts and lowers. It’s been a Godsend for Greg as it is extremely painful for him to get up and down.


I’m grateful my parents never got rid of the chair after Nana passed away. But when Greg walked away from the chair on the first day they brought it over, Mom sort of said in a lower voice to Rob and Roda, “Nana passed away in that chair.” Greg said, “Oh Gee, Thanks Gay!” Greg swears he smells pickles when he sits in the chair, but I’m wondering if it’s the meds talking or not?

Yesterday I told Roda, “Two patients and a hurricane. Welcome to Louisiana!” My Mom had eye surgery today on right eye. She has surgery on the other one next week. It’s because the 5 drops a day for glaucoma wasn’t bringing down the pressure. Hopefully these procedures will do the trick.

Needless to say, I’m worried about how Mom and Greg will handle any travel should we evacuate. It’s still early to tell if we need to. Or maybe it’s the hope and wish that we don’t have to leave our homes, which could be folly…

Comments

Ugich Konitari said…
Aleta,

you know, feminine protection being used as dressing was something we did when my late father was bedridden 2 years ago and was troubled with bedsores that were difficult to dress, because the dressing would get all scrunched up when he moved.So we used to cut the pads up into largish pieces, and use it as final dressing once ointments and other special dressings were put. It worked perfectly. Strangely, the Pharmacy people near our house, who knew about this illness, were not surprised about this sudden buying of pads when there was no-one using these (I am 59, and my Mom is no more things). Apparently , this sort of use is common here in India.

In the meanwhile, I hope you and Greg and your folks emerge safe and happy thru all this stormy stuff. Will pray for u guys.....

(And yes, thank you for your comments on my blog...!)
Aleta said…
Hi Ugich Konitari,

I find it fascinating that feminie protection has so many uses! Thank you for sharing about your father and the bedsore dressings. I think more people should be aware of the uses and wish that the hospital and such would offer the information.