Still Here

First, I want to thank those who commented on the last post. I took down the previous post, because …. Don’t know how to say it, but the Bah Humbugs were setting in a little too strong and I guess I felt that if it wasn’t on the blog, then maybe I wouldn’t feel it. But that wasn’t the case. I wish I could say things were better on that topic, but it’s pretty much status quo. My friends tell me to count blessings and remember things never stay “good or bad” in life. Greg tells me there’s nothing I can do to control the situation and live it day to day. I’m working on the joy aspect and that helps.

Counting Blessings ~ Family and Treasured Memories. My parents took us (Greg and I and R&R) on a family vacation to Cali. It was good timing, to get away and enjoy a completely different surrounding. One blessing, a very important one, is family ~ I’ll write up about it soon.

We also saw a performance, “The Color Purple” at the Mahalia Jackson Theater in New Orleans. Wow! The program stated that the actors were from Broadway and it showed. Greg later told me that there was an article about the performers, how some of them helped to rebuild homes, others “adopted” families in New Orleans to help them recover from Katrina. God Bless ‘Em! The performance ~ well, as much as Greg liked “Jersey Boys” in Boston – he thought “The Color Purple” was better! And that says a lot.













Though it was a musical, the performers ACTED… there was humor, there was deep, rich soul singing, there was drama. At one point I saw Mom turn around with tears in her eyes and I had to look away, because I was tearing up too. The main character was a tiny slip of a woman, but she could carry a note that went right through you ~ powerful!

The main character stood up to her husband as he tried to stop her from leaving. He tried to put her down with words and she came back saying, “I may be poor. I may be black. I maybe ugly. But….” And this is where she sang the words with such force that it sent chills through me… “ I’M HERE!” Her voice was incredible. She didn’t need a microphone to carry across the theater. It came from her heart.

Blessings: I’m here!




















The musical was beautiful and I’d highly recommend seeing it!

Greg loves cold weather and Christmas lights. He decorated the outside with lights and put up decorations inside as well, then we went to Lafrienere Park to see the pretty lights.

























And for those who are more sports oriented ~ Geaux Saints! WOOT! Ever since Greg and I dated, he’s taken the time to explain the game to me. Before this year, I was a Saints Fan. Greg says I have turrets when I watch the game, because I’ll scream, “Think smart! Yes, yes, yes! Go go go!” And you know it’s Bush when I scream, “GO FORWARD!” Lol

Today, Greg gave me an early Christmas gift. He said, “Aleta, you’re a great catch.” Hehe. Actually, I do have a knack for catching things, never realized it until Greg tossed groceries to me from the front porch of his house one day. I put on my Christmas gift and Greg said, “Sexy!” Counting Blessings ~ Greg. (excuse the picture, I look like a mess, but I'm smiling!)








Again, thanks for having patience with me. I’ll be sure to have the family vacation journal up soon with a link to pictures.

Comments

Beverly said…
Aleta, I know I sent you a chin up girl. I also know how hard it is to keep that chin up when it is down. Sending hugs from down the street.
Tabitha Bird said…
Glad to have you back even for a bit. Nice lights! And the color purple sounds amazing!
Kavi said…
Looking forward to check out the travel journal !

:)
A New Yorker said…
Oh Hon. Just be you! Your friends are gonna accept you good bad and ugly. The rest can go to hell.

Color Purple, played around block from me for a long time. Hate that theater manager. Nasty man. Such is life. Glad you enjoyed the show. Soon you'll be here watching broadway shows on broadway. :)
septembermom said…
The Color Purple is one of my favorite movies. I know that I would love to see it on stage. It must be such an emotionally charged show.

Could Greg come all the way to NY to do my Christmas lights?? My husband hates to do it :) Good thing I have my boys to help out.

I like your cute t shirt by the way!
2Wired2Tired said…
Sounds like a great trip and a wonderful performance. Looking forward to reading the travel journal. Your last one was so detailed, I felt like I had travelled with you!
Carma Sez said…
Happy to see you are back and doing OK!
The Forscheins said…
Glad to read a post that shows you're trying to see the positive in the sledgehammer situation, dear. Keep your head up!! I'm now going to read all the fabulous memories you made while on vacation. Can't wait!!! Nevada and California are beautiful states with a lot to offer!